Kattenbraker Casa

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

stella mae as art


Now here's the fun stuff. I've been doing this "maia series"...which you will all see in good time...This is a piece that is partly taken from a "stella series" she calls it "the girl taking a walk with a nice creature who is a boy". It's just recently finished and i think i love it. I am bringing it with me to a show this weekend, and it WILL be for sale...I'll ask half a million dollars for it and then take you all on a cruise. I rationalize selling it by way of thinking about, you know, feeding...clothing...general maintenance of dear stella. and also, the creature is MY rendition of a creature she has done...its not the real thing. i conglommorated a few of hers into one sweetheart with a hat. The originals- they will be sticking around- staying in the family shall we say. I feel so full and happy to be doing this series- slightly sneaky to be so thorougly using my childrens art as my own (and nearly only) inspiration...but also so greatly fulfilled in it. i rarely criticize these pieces in my head the way i do my others- i know their purity, their intention, their energy and do not question it. Living vicariously through my children? (or their art, i should say). maybe so. Hiding behind their amazing-ness? definitely. Can i rationalize this? barely. I do know that there is a hunger for this...i hunger for it and have met people who also are relieved and excited to be in its presence. It probably is a reflection of the climate of these times...we need a bit of magic and imagination in our faces. We need to remember what it is to see the world in that floaty feeling-knowing somehow that it's slightly a mess, but that there are still yellow ballons to let go of, and nice creatures to take walks with. even some that are boys.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Linnea said...

me too...i want prints...i will be willing to pay, not half million though!!! Oh, about that "enter key not working", hit tab and enter at the same time...I found that out on accident!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home